Wild Friday Nights. I’m living them. The boys are in bed, the dogs are sleeping, Netflix is officially judging me for not changing the show and I’ve been playing in makeup all night like some little girl. It is the perfect end to this wild ridiculous week.
Tonight I bring you a few tips to unwind and selfishly take care of yourself to the fullest extend.
- Take a warm bath. Who hasn’t heard this before. But did you know the reason why this is helpful is because it is literally a natural sedative to stress and can help relieve muscle soreness and improve your circulation.
- Read a good book. Again, who hasn’t heard this one? Escaping into a world of fiction or into a great book teaching you something new about yourself or a new skill is a great way to take your mind to another place and release the tension of the week.
- Enjoy a glass of wine. It isn’t just women shop talk, there is real science behind this! Reservatrol is found in grapes and cacao beans (ummmm chocolate anyone) which when consumed activates a number of genes in the body that works on repairing your body! This doesn’t mean chug the bottle, too much of a good thing is never a good thing. Keep it simple and just enjoy a nice glass. (or two…)
- Take a nap. Our bodies naturally recover when we are sleeping and give us the chance to recuperate. Our brains are doing the same when we take a quick power nap and then carry on. It gives us a chance to refresh and just close down for a few to recharge the batteries so to say.
- Exercise. Quite literally one of the best ways to unwind and distress. Whether it be cardio or something as calming as yoga, a good sweat session is always a great addition to the de-stress playbook.
- Drink some water and have a snack! Hangry is real people! IT. IS. REAL. Don’t believe me? Ask my husband. Sometimes we get grumpy and cannot handle things as well when we are hungry and not fueling our body with all it needs to keep going. When you are feeling the angry rise, take a break and take a snack with you.
- Get Outdoors. The sun fills us with it’s vitamins which are vital to our health. When you are feeling the blue – sometimes all you need is a little sunshine to pick you up. Take a quick walk outside in the sunlight, feel the breeze on your face and just take a beat.
These are some of my favorite ways to untangle my mind. And though sometimes it seems impossible, it is important to always work to calm our minds and calm our bodies.
What are some of your favorite ways to distress?