Do you ever get that feeling to feed your inner Italian? I do. The smell of a delicious pasta sauce, the garlic in the air, the onions making you tear up…it is a beautiful thing. This month in my challenge group we are swapping recipes and I wanted to talk about how eating healthy doesn’t have to be a huge chore. You CAN eat yummy food, that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, and that your entire family can enjoy. I got this recipe from the Beachbody Blog because I realized what a plethora of recipes they had to share AND it was going to give me the breakdown for my containers on the site to. Win and Win! Below is my semi-tweaked version to keep it gluten free for me. :)
Let’s be clear. When I come home from work I do NOT want to spend hours in the kitchen, husband and I have started to divide and conquer so we can enjoy our meals and then we have some family time. So quick is the name of the game. This was not a lot of ingredients and really simple to lay out.
Sub #1 – Gluten free breadcrumbs, because as a sufferer of DH I have no desire to have a gluten allergy outbreak for any kind of food.
Sub #2 – A sub of necessity due to lack of buying the right cheese!! I had to use a blend of cheeses instead of just the mozzarella because in my haste I completely forgot to add it to my list…still delicious. ;)
Wash, rinse and repeat….I feel like that is all I ever get done when I cook chicken. I am never clean enough and the counters can never be sanitized enough. But slowly, just after coating the chicken in the crumbs, cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic…I was becoming a believer in this recipe. And now for the hard part…..
But you know you have a winner of a recipe when you can just see it cooking and bubbling up in the oven, the smell is overtaking your home, your mouth is already watering because when you close your eyes you feel like you are in Italy…maybe just a little….and you take it out of the oven?
Toss on a side of veggies and this my friends was a winner all around. Check it out, make it and let me know what you think!!
Healthy Chicken Parmesan
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 4 Tbsp. shredded blend cheese
- 1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 (6-oz.) each raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 cup all-natural marinara sauce, no sugar added
- ¾ cup shredded blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Lightly coat medium baking sheet with spray. Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp. shredded cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and minced garlic and dried parsley in a small bowl; mix well. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Place eggs in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken breast in eggs, completely coating, then bread crumbs; coating each evenly on all sides. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 22 to 26 minutes, turning after 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.
- Preheat broiler on high.
- Top each chicken breast evenly with marinara sauce, shredded blend cheese. Return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Original Recipe Link: https://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/recipes/healthy-chicken-parmesan