Today I made one of my favorite meals. Actually a favorite meal of my husbands as well since we have started our healthy lifestyle. He has been such a trooper. I was told to cook whatever and he would eat it. (Now if only the same went for my four year old…)
But today, even though it isn’t cold out, I made some savory, warm, and satisfying Turkey Chili that I got from a hungry girl recipe (all credit due to the amazing Lisa Lillen for her mad healthy cooking skills!). So I want to share this with you and encourage you to indulge in this cold weather favorite…all year long!
Hungry Girl Turkey Chili
- One 29-oz. can tomato sauce
- One 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- One 15-oz. can chili beans (pinto beans in chili sauce), not drained
- One 15-oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sliced or chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 2 bell peppers (different colors), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 – 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, sauce reserved
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 lb. raw lean ground turkey
- Optional: salt
Combine all ingredients except turkey and salt in a large bowl. Add 2 tsp. adobo sauce from the canned chipotle peppers. Mix to combine and coat all of the beans and veggies with sauce.
Put turkey in the bottom of a crock pot and break it up into small chunks. Top with the mixture from the large bowl, and mix well.
Cover and cook on high for 3 – 4 hours or on low for 7 – 8 hours.
Stir to distribute turkey. If you like, add salt to taste.